Exam season in Cape Town is upon us, with studies in full swing and student life outside of exams seems distant and strange. To help you get through this troubling time as successfully and efficiently as possible, we at Student at Home want to share our top study tips to help you learn. Use this quick study tip guide to make sure you get that A+, or at the very least a pass you can tell your parents was an A!
1. Manage your time effectively: Good time-management skills are essential in studying, so make sure you set aside enough time to study so that by the time your exam rolls around you’re completely prepared. Set up a regular study schedule and stick with it. Every day has 24 hours, so make sure to use them wisely.
2. There’s no such thing as a stupid question, so ask questions: Talk to your instructor about the areas of study that will be emphasized on the exam, for clarification on certain topics, or for their favourite local coffee shop to take the edge off. Every bit of info helps.
3. During the exam make sure you read the instructions and questions carefully. Check how many questions from each section you need to answer and allocate enough time for planning, writing and reviewing each one. You don’t want to answer incorrectly or run out of time to finish everything.
4. If your mind goes blank, write down any thoughts or words that might be relevant and then move on. When you come back to the question later, these thoughts may help to spark ideas that can then help you to answer the question.
5. Eat well before the exam. It’s imperative to be in good physical and mental condition is important for effective test preparation. And by this, we mean proper nutrition, so maybe skip that Egg McMuffin for breakfast and eat a banana. Your brain will thank us.
It’s important to remember that while these exams are vital, they are not the be-all and end-all. While it’s always good to pass, failure is not the end of the world. Don’t stress too much, you’re here to learn, you’re expanding your mind, so be happy! And good luck!